Wednesday, January 6, 2010

CUPCAKES

I have had such a craving for sugar the last couple of days.  I tried several different things to satisfy my longing, but to no avail.  Cookies, fruit, even chocolate didn't hit the spot.  I wanted cake so bad.  So, today I made up a recipe for a very moist yellow cake.  Up until this point, I haven't been able to make a yellow cake that wasn't slightly dry.  Today (Finally!) I had success.  Here's the recipe.

YELLOW CAKE
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 T. vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1 1/3 cups buttermilk
Cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy.  Add eggs and vanilla.  Beat for about 2 minutes.  Add salt, soda, and baking powder.  Alternate adding flour and milk until everything is mixed well.  Beat for about 2 minutes more.  Bake at 350* for about 30-35 minutes (15 minutes for cupcakes).
*NOTE:  When I make cupcakes or muffins, I use an ice cream scoop to fill the cups.  It makes for evenly sized cakes.

BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup shortening
2 pounds powdered sugar
1 T. vanilla extract
Mix butter and shortening.  Slowly add sugar.  Thin with milk if necessary.  Mix in vanilla.  Spread on cake.



No comments: