Friday, December 4, 2009

Homemade Cleaners

A few of us in our family have breathing problems when we use commercial cleaners.  I love a clean house, but an asthma attack is too high a price to pay.  So, through trial and error, I have discovered a few more natural things that work for us.

For all the tile surfaces we use white vinegar.  Sometimes I just pour it on the kitchen floor and spray the floor with water from the sink and start mopping.

For the bathroom surfaces I have been know to use white vinegar, but I really like the Method spray in cucumber melon scent.  I use bleach in the toilets.  I know it's not as non-toxic as vinegar, but it just smells so clean to me.

I like lemon oil for dusting.  It barely has a scent and it makes everything look beautiful.

For the wood floors, I use white vinegar and follow it up with a very light coat of orange oil.  Not so much to make it slippery; just enough to make it shine and take away any footprints.

For carpet stains, I use just plain old soapy water.  I have read that rubbing alcohol will take out stains but I haven't tried it yet.  I really need to though.

For glass cleaner, I mix equal parts rubbing alcohol and water, then add a tablespoon of white vinegar.  I works just as well as the expensive stuff you can buy in the store.

For rings around the tub of sink, I use baking soda as an abrasive.  Baking soda or salt also work well when you have a burned pan.  Just pour the stuff on, leave it overnight, and the next morning the pan will clean up easier.

For baseboards, I use soapy water and a scrub brush.  I usually just dust my walls when needed, but if they do need washed I use soapy water.

For laundry soap, I mix a shredded bar of soap with borax and washing soda.  I use a tablespoon for each load and if the clothes are really dirty, I will add a scoop of oxyclean.  If I'm lazy and don't want to make laundry soap, I can use All free and clear without a problem.

That's all I can think of at the moment.  There might be more, but my mind's gone blank.  Tomorrow I will try to post my weekly cleaning schedule.

No comments: