Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Sourdough English Muffins

I have made English Muffin bread for many years, but until recently I had never made English Muffins.  I was always concerned the cooking them on a griddle would leave them raw in the middle so I didn't even try.  Last week, I had an over-abundance of sourdough starter so I decided to give the muffins a try.  My family was very thankful!


SOURDOUGH ENGLISH MUFFINS
1 cup sourdough starter
2 T. honey
1 t. yeast
5 cups flour
1 t. baking soda
2 t. salt
Cornmeal


Combine starter, honey, yeast, and 4 cups of the flour in a bowl.  Let rise in a warm place for several hours or overnight.  
Stir down.  Mix in soda and salt.  Knead in 1 cup of flour for about 5 minutes of until smooth.  Roll our dough 1/2" thick.  Cut into 3" rounds.  Sprinkle waxed paper with cornmeal.  Place muffins on waxed paper and sprinkle tops lightly with cornmeal.  Cover and let rise for about 30 minutes.  
Heat griddle for 5 minutes on low heat.  Cook each muffin for about 4 minutes each side, turning once.  



No comments: