Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Baked French Toast

I made some seed bread a few days ago.  It had a good flavor but I'm still working on getting the texture right.  After the first day, it seemed to get stale quickly.  It was also a little more dense than I liked.  When I get the recipe improved to my liking, I will post it here.  Meanwhile, this is what I did with the  leftover stale bread.


BAKED FRENCH TOAST
1 loaf sliced, slightly stale whole grain bread
5 eggs, beaten slightly
1 cup milk
2 cups blueberries
3 T. maple syrup
1 t. vanilla extract
3 T brown sugar


Lay half of the bread slices in the bottom of a 9x13 pan.  Mix the eggs, milk, syrup, and vanilla extract together.  Pour half of the egg mixture over bread slices.  Sprinkle blueberries over this.  Lay the other half of the bread slices over the blueberries.  Pour the rest of the egg mixture over bread slices.  Sprinkle with brown sugar. 
Cover and refrigerate overnight.
In the morning, take pan out of refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.  Bake at 350* for one hour, turning the top bread slices about halfway through baking.  Serve with butter and maple syrup.

No comments: