Friday, February 5, 2010

Potato Salad

I know potato salad is traditionally a summer time food, except in my family.  When I was growing up, we always had potato salad for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Now, I cook the more traditional mashed potatoes on holidays, but I couldn't make it through the winter without potato salad.  Here's my recipe.

POTATO SALAD
5 pounds russet potatoes
12 eggs, hard-boiled
1 1/2 cups chopped pickles (I use dill and sweet)
2 cans sliced black olives
 1/4 of a small onion
1/2 jar of mayo
4 T apple cider vinegar
1 T celery seed

Boil unpeeled potatoes until tender.  Drain and cool.
Peel and cube potatoes.  Slice hard-boiled eggs and add to potatoes.  Add pickles, olives, and onion.  Mix well.  Stir in mayo, vinegar, and celery seed.  Sprinkle with paprika, if desired.  Chill before serving.

No comments: