Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Homemade Cranberry Sauce



Cranberry sauce isn't just for Thanksgiving anymore.  At least not according to my kids!  They eat it like it's candy.  My sister and I made 10 quarts and canned them.  It was easy and fun too.











Cranberry Sauce
6 cups fresh cranberries
3 cups water or orange juice
3 cups sugar
cinnamon sticks or 2 T. ground cinnamon

Combine all ingredients over medium heat.  When berries start popping, turn heat down to a simmer.  Simmer until the sauce is the consistency you like.  I simmered it for quite a while and some of the berries were still whole, so it didn't turn to mush.  Remove the cinnamon sticks and can in boiling water canner for 25 minutes.  If you don't want to can this, it can be frozen.   You can also use a couple teaspoons of orange extract if you want the hint of orange but don't have any juice.  That's what I intended to do, but I forgot.  Oops.

This recipe does not make 10 quarts.  I tripled the recipe to get that amount and I even had a little extra for Thanksgiving dinner.

No comments: