Saturday, October 24, 2009

Freezer Organization

I have needed to clean and organize my freezers for quite some time. When I bought my big upright freezer, I was looking at the price tag and missed out on a very important fact. It was not frost free. This means it gets full of ice and regularly needs to be defrosted. This is not a fun job.

But, hunting season is here and if the guys get an animal, I am going to need some freezer space. So, I bit the bullet and started cleaning and organizing. It took half a day and I couldn't have done it without my kids help.

My organization tip for the week is this: when you freeze meat (or whatever) use labeled bins to separate your food. For instance, I have one bin for ground beef, ground turkey, meatballs, etc. I have another bin for chicken, one for breakfast meats, and one for fish. The purpose for this is to keep the kinds of food separated so that you know exactly what you have and how much you have of it. Never again will I think I have plenty of hamburger for dinner, only to find I have none.

I wish I had thought to take a before picture but I didn't. So, here are the after pictures.



No comments: